Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Course Registration

            Course registration for the spring started 2 days ago. Today was my turn to register, I'm not complaining because it's a really decent registration date, but I really hate all the preparation and mental work that I have to put into this day. It's unnecessary stress. Every year during Christmas, I take a look at all the courses being offered for the next 3 semesters and plan out which courses I need and want to take. That sounds about right, right? Unfortunately, the university does not like to encourage planning because every time when it comes to my turn to register my plans always fall through. I think out of my 4 years in University, I only had one successful registration where I was able to register according to my plan. 

             Back in the day in my first couple of years in university, not being able to register in my classes was because I'm taking courses ahead of my year (ex. taking second year courses in my first year) and have a later registration date compared to second and third year students who are also registering for second year courses. I guess the university doesn't like to encourage keeners either. Now that I'm in fourth year, my headaches are no longer because I can't get into a class. In fact, I open up my registration browser and every single course being offered is still open with tons of seats available. What bothers me now is my university decides to schedule all the courses I need and want to take in the same time slots. I hate registration day. I'm sure it's been a nightmare in every undergraduate student's career at one point. I ended up only being able to register for 3 courses instead of my usual 5:

- Couples Research and Therapy
- Health and Illness in Later Life
- Asia-Canada Identities: Experiences and Perspectives

             I am considering doing a directed studies project under my lab professor, so we'll see what happens. I'm also hoping I can get into the Applied Gerontology course. I just need the "research methods" course waived which would probably be possible considering I've taken something like 8 courses in research methods already. If I do get into that course, I'll probably drop Asia-Canada identities and take it another semester because it sounds REALLY interesting. Wish me luck!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment