Friday, January 25, 2013

Titles and Expertise

I always have trouble coming up with descriptions for "about me" sections.

I ended up signing up for this website "Quora" just to feed my curiosity about things and see what people have to say about various topics and I was prompted to write a description of myself that would identify me... I'm also guessing my expertise so when I answer questions people can decide how heavily they want to weigh my opinion.

Anyways, I always end up reading other people's descriptions to get some inspiration. From the few I read, it seems like people like to describe themselves using titles. I'm guessing part of it is because you are supposed to show your expertise on this website, but I started to feel weird. Do we need these titles in order to feel important and like our opinions matter? Some people like to use fancy words to describe themselves and what they like do but why do we need to do that? I guess sometimes fall into this trap too. As most people, who know me well, know, I love doing research in the area of clinical psychology... but does that mean that I need to label myself as a clinical researcher? I went to an arts school and I love to paint everything... but does that mean I need to label myself as an artist? I study psychology, but does that mean I need to label myself as a psychologist? I guess I'm uncomfortable with slapping these big labels and titles on little old me.

So what did I write in my description?

"student of life for life."


No comments:

Post a Comment